Thursday, September 27, 2012

Songs Of The Week #7: TCDroogsma

Shovels & Rope, Matthew E. White, Grizzly Bear, Calexico, & Adelyn Rose

Hello again, music fans and welcome to Songs Of The Week #7!  We're changing it up a bit this week as, despite our best efforts, all of our regular contributors were out being young, social, attractive, fulfilled... basically enjoying life to its fullest.

Well, nearly all of them.  Unsurprisingly, TCDroogsma was still VERY available to have a listen to the songs this week.

Hopefully you've take our advice already and started download the podcast for yourself.  If you haven't, be sure to follow this link to sign up.  It's free music, everybody!  What's better than that?!?

So, TCDroogsma, take it away!

01. Shovels & Rope - Birmingham (from the album O' Be Joyful)


 
TCDroogsma:

     Dear The Current: That's enough of this completely mythologized, Americana bullshit!  I realize I didn't pay for this song, but I want my money back.  In fact, you should be paying me to listen to this.

     Honestly, even my love of boy/girl vocal combos can't save this trainwreck.  This song actually contains the line, "Pulled her covered wagon of the BQE, said 'this'll ever be the last you see of me."  Seriously, Teen Wolf was more realistic than this.  Stands up better too.  If I could give this song less than zero I'd do it (though, ironically, I'd give the song "Less Than Zero" a three of five.

Final Score:  TCDroogsma - 0/5

02. Matthew E. White - One Of These Days (from the album Big Inner)


   
TCDroogsma:

    The first couple of times I listened to this one it didn't even register.  I made out some vague metaphors about a woman and some water and that was about it.

     As the week went on, I started to notice the way this song is structured.  It very patiently builds verse to verse, starting with just drums and a bass guitar, adding strings, adding horns, and coming to a brilliant drop out that leaves the vocals all alone.  Sadly, there isn't much payoff after that.  For a song I was willing to dismiss as Ray Montagne on his worst day ever, the fact that I found any redeeming quality is a win.

Final Score: TCDroogsma - 2.5/5

03. Grizzly Bear - Yet Again (from the album Shields)



TCDroogsma:

     Now, I know that in the indie rock world Grizzly Bear is a big deal.  They're a relevant, album-driven band and they deserve my full attention.  Hell, Jay-Z even shouted them out.  In this regard, I have failed.  I think I only know two Grizzly Bear songs and I cannot recall either of them off the top of my head.

     Everything I've read about Shields claims that it is an album that demands repeated listens to appreciate all of its beauty.  Based on this lead single I would imagine that's true (this one did grow on me as the week went on).  However, I would imagine this was made the lead single because it is immediately accessible.  It is made accessible by the fact that it sounds like 800 other indie rock songs that come out each week.  If you told me this was the new single from Sea Wolf I wouldn't even bat an eye.  This is not to say it's a bad song (it's not), but it is not a particularly memorable one, either.  I almost would have preferred if they'd put out one of the "difficult" songs as a single just to see what all the fuss is about.

Final Score: TCDroogsma - 3/5

04. Calexico - Splitter (from the album Algiers)


 
TCDroogsma:

     To be completely honest, I've never totally gotten the appeal of Calexico.  All of their songs sound pretty much the same to me.  I suppose being the best kinda-Mexican-inspired indie rock band in the world is not actually that difficult of a feat.

     Anyway, "Splitter" sounds like every other Calexico song you've ever heard.  Even though there's a great plinking-piano bit and some intriguing horns, they're both drowned in the mix by an acoustic guitar.  Yes, the horns are drowned out by an acoustic guitar.

     There is absolutely nothing memorable about this song.  The second it ends I completely forget everything about it.  I would imagine this is the aural equivalent of having sex with Zooey Deschanel.

Final Score:  TCDroogsma - 1/5

05. Adelyn Rose - It Means Shadow (from their Tour EP 2012)


 
TCDroogsma: 

     Not a great song, but definitely one that grew on me as the week went on.  The fuzzed out, somewhat off-kilter guitars give this song a bit of a 90's vibe, which, if I'm the target audience, is always a good thing.  The hooks in this song are not instantly memorable, but if you find this song coming up randomly a year from now, I promise that the hook will come instantly to the front of your mind.

     Rose's voice is double-tracked and cuts pretty clearly through the fuzz, yet still somehow manages to sound un-polished.  Really, quite a job their by whoever produced this track.  I have not paid any attention to the lyrics in this song.  I'm going to go ahead and assume they have something to with a shadow.  Maybe?  I dunno.

Final Score:  TCDroogsma - 2.5

Well there you go everybody!  Thanks for stopping and again, sorry for the delayed post.  We're all busy, busy people.

As always, this blog is in no way affiliated with The Current, Minnesota Public Radio, or the artists.  It is also not affiliated with any parent companies, big tobacco, the Obama administration, Skull & Bones, Sam Walton, Chrysler Motor Corp., ConAgra, the British Royal Family, or the NFL and its subsidiaries. Though we're certainly available for the right price.

For more TCDroogmsa he can be found on Twitter & Instagram under that name.  He can also be found on his own blog Flatbasset.  He actually may be affiliated with a few NFL subsidiaries.  Not sure.

This blog, of course, maintains a Twitter account (@NewestIndustry1) and a Facebook page here.  Be sure to stop by and give it a 'like' if you'd like to make sure MinneSarah makes it backs next week to make this column readable again.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment