Tuesday, October 16, 2012

As Old As We Get, We Don't Forget...

"We gotta learn to see the beauty in each moment of life..."


Hello again, Twin Cities hip-hop fans.  If you didn't know, today marks the two-year anniversary of the death of Michael (Eyedea) Larsen.  Obviously, we don't need to remind anybody just how significant an impact Mr. Larsen had on the hip-hop culture of the Twin Cities.  His loss is still felt two years later.

We remembered that, at the time of Eyedea's death, TCDroogsma wrote a brief piece on his Flatbasset blog.  We decided it would be appropriate to re-post it here on Newest Industry.

TCDroogsma, any thoughts?

I did not know Eyedea personally.  I was just a big fan.  When he died the feeling of loss throughout the Twin Cities was palpable.  I didn't have any more to write than any other fan, but I thought it would be appropriate to write something.

I wrote this bit two years ago.  Not sure if it's aged well or not.  It originally appeared under one of my Caffeine & Obscenities posts.  Have a look:

File Under: I’ll Still Smile

As most of you know, St. Paul rapper Eyedea (Mikey Larsen) died of a prescription drug overdose last month. I won’t waste time going over his accomplishments (and I certainly won’t be able to write anything as personal as Sage Francis’ obituary).

I saw Eyedea perform 5 times (Eyedea & Abilities reunion show at the TC Celebration Of Hip Hop, Fifth Element in-store for the release of By The Throat, a Turf Club show, the first Soundset, & at the Triple Rock w/Puppies & Ice Cream). Each of these shows was a genuinely inspiring experience. I’ve been to countless shows over the years. Most left me entertained (if not intoxicated). More importantly, though, each of these shows left me incredibly inspired. 



Eyedea was one of the rare artists I’ve seen up close and personal who reminded me that art is whatever you want it to be. Along with P.O.S., Lazerbeak, & The Cribs, his shows made me want to go home and become a better writer and a better person. For this, he’ll always have a special place for me. I won’t say something corny like, “I’ll miss him.” I will say, I was lucky to see him. Thanks.



Originally posted to Flatbasset December 14th, 2010.

Thanks to TCDroogsma for digging that one out of the vaults.  And thanks Eyedea.  We still smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment